Designer Relations Student Placement
Monday 24th April 2017
Job Title: Designer Relations Student Placement
Department: Designer Relations
Reports to: Sales and Showcasing Executives
Location: Somerset House, London
Type: 1 Year Placement
The British Fashion Council (BFC) is a not-for-profit organisation that aims to further the interests of the British fashion industry and its designer businesses by harnessing and sharing collective knowledge, experience and resources of the sector. Formed in 1983, the BFC is funded by industry patrons, commercial sponsors, and the government including the Mayor of London and the ERDF. It leads the industry through creative influence and is strategically repositioning British fashion in the global fashion economy.
The BFC encourages a culture which empowers, values, nurtures, supports and rewards its employees and promotes a positive environment with a focus on team collaboration and open communication.
The BFC is committed to being an Equal Opportunities Employer.
The Designer Relations Department is looking for an ambitious and highly-motivated Student Work Placement Assistant to provide administrative support to the department to deliver initiatives and events across the year. The Assistant will work with the Designer Relations Team to deliver the showrooms and schedules for London Fashion Week and London Fashion Week Men’s; organise initiative judging days; liaise with designers on a day to day basis; and liaise with the different departments within the BFC to ensure deadlines are met.
The role is integral to the BFC for designer and industry relations and engagement.
- Support the team in the curation of the London Fashion Week & London Fashion Week Men’s designer showrooms, catwalk, presentation and digital schedule
- Actively liaising with designers, sending out contracts, collating data, sending production manuals and being a day to day liaison with designers for BFC departments and external agencies
- Work with the finance team to ensure invoices are raised, payments are made in a timely manner and outstanding amounts are chased
- Liaise with marketing team to update all schedule changes on the website and print listings
- Proactively encourage the sale of the BFC designer showrooms, catwalk show and presentation space, helping meeting financial targets and assisting in creating seasonal marketing material to support
- Take lead in the creation of the LFW & LFWM internal contact list which is vital to the running of both events
- Pro-actively work with the team to discuss ideas and build designer target lists for LFW & LFWM
- Manage the BFC’s internal designer database, ensuring the data is kept up to date
- Support the team in the running the BFC’s designer support initiatives, including Rock Vault, Headonism, NEWGEN, Fashion Trust, and Fashion Fund
- Actively support in the planning of selection days, preparing panel packs and booking meeting rooms
- Scout designer targets for the BFC’s various initiatives and undertaking extensive designer research when necessary
- Manage the department’s ad hoc interns for events
- Liaise with designers for research, press announcements and gathering important information
- Create meeting agendas and circulate minutes following team/department meetings
- Provide team updates on Facebook Workplace to keep the company updated on designer communication
- Ensure the team’s critical path is circulated, updated and deadlines are being met
- Represent the BFC and act as an ambassador at events
- Ad hoc office support
REQUIREMENTS & KEY ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent level of written and spoken English is essential
- Strong communication and exceptional organisational skills
- Strong cross-functional and department partnership skills
- Strong IT skills
- Proven experience of supporting events
- Job type: Internship to meet university work placement requirements of up to 1 year, commencing June 2017
- Salary: National Minimum Wage
- 28 days annual holiday including Bank Holidays
- Standard company working hours, flexibility required during events, exhibitions, etc.
- Confirmation of internship subject to successful completion of a 1 month probationary period
- Location: Somerset House, London WC2R 1LA
- The BFC is committed to being an Equal Opportunities Employer
HOW TO APPLY
- Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK
- Candidates should apply in writing with a covering letter highlighting your relevant experience for this role, attaching your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closing date: Monday 24th April 2017